Thursday 4 September, 2008

DO WE REALLY WANNA BECOME ENGINEERS???

On weekends away from the daily curricula something upsets me. That something is the question "Do we really want to become engineers?". There are only a few people around (at least what I know) who know what are they are doing with their lives and for the rest of us branded as budding engineers are we not just following the trend.

We all study hard in school at plus two level and to try get into a college of repute. This the general trend that is being followed. I think nowadays it is not your ambition that drives you it is the world around you that shapes your career .I still remember when I first entered class 11 I had no clue about my future . But then what happened I saw some enthusiast around me gearing up for entrance test preparations. Probably they were motivated by their parents. What do I do then ,I can't go against the trend so I also take up engineering as my goal ,God knows why. So I am here with 500 odds other students who probably did the same thing as me and figuring what our future holds for us now.

This is what life is governed by other forces around you . If anyone says that he has a mind of his own , doesn't care what others think about him and has his own way of doing things I would give you a liar.

But my question still remains unanswered are we all doing justice to our lives by pursuing engineering as our profession. Does anybody around me for that matter my seniors has the guts to stand up say that what he has chosen for his life is right for him. An intelligent student must take up engineering or medicine as his career. Is it that simple, probably not . This fact proves it that we are all so governed by the social laws. For that matter what is intelligence is it the art of mugging up and vomiting in the exams. Or is it the art of doing the important portions (as suggested by the teacher ) and cheating the rest in the exams. In my book anybody can be intelligent a last seater can be more intelligent than a topper because he has a mind of his own .Securing marks is not a intelligence quotient. Even Bill Gates was a college dropout . By this I don't to say that all of us should stop studying and we all would become Bill Gates .

Coming back to my point that one should spend some time in search of what is right for him. Agreed that this search is time consuming but we can all give it a try. Here lies one of the greatest disadvantages of the modern world that it has robbed all time out of your life.

So to some it up all I want to say is that all you people out there playing games , sleeping at hostel ,going out with girlfriend, or trying to make them ,attending classes ,all you back benchers sleeping in the class or disturbing the teachers is to take a deep breath and think is this what am I supposed to do in life am ,I doing justice to my life or am I just following the trend .

No comments: